Saturday, October 23, 2010

Starting My Kebyar Duduk

Reunion, done. Report, done. Housework, done. Project presentation, done.
Yippie... it is time to start stitching again!!

This is how far I have stitched, my Balinese Kebyar Duduk Dancer..



Well, I can't help to do some research about this traditional Balinese dance. Here's the search result from Bali dance and drama. They even provide a video of the dance at the website.

In 1925 I Ketut Maria (also known as Mario’) the most famous Balinese dancer of this century, debuted his Kebyar Duduk a dance performed entirely while seated on the ground. With no narrative to tell, the Kebyar dancer presents a range of moods from coquettishness to bashfulness, and from sweet imploring to anger. Mario himself performed this while playing the trompong (a long instrument with 14 inverted kettle gongs), using theatrics and flashy moves to coax sound from the instrument.



(Kebyar Duduk Dancer photograph courtesy of Farl, 2008)

2 comments: